Monday, April 6, 2009

Lip Balm - No More Petro-Chemicals?

Something different from Asia-town posts!

My new obsession is lip balm. For years, I've been using and buying the same lip balms over and over, and it was time for a change. My previous lip balms were:

  • Vaseline
  • regular Chapstick
  • Philosophy Kiss Me
  • Palmer's Cocoa Butter Swivel Stick
  • the Oprah-approved Smith's Rosebud Salve, and Smith's Strawberry Lip Balm.

A pretty boring collection of lip balm, but they worked fine at keeping my lips from becoming chapped.

Lately, people are becoming concerned about petro-chemicals such as petrolatum, mineral oil, and microcrystalline wax, which are by-products of petroleum refining. Some believe that it's potentially harmful. You'll find sources on the internet that say it's toxic, but I think they might be a little alarmist. And they're often trying to sell you some sort of natural product as an alternative.

I'll be honest - I don't know if it's toxic or not. I know that mineral oil is used on babies, and even ingested as a laxative. I know that I've been rubbing Vaseline, 100% petrolatum, on my lips for years. I also know that it's an ingredient in a ton of other lotions and creams. Every single one of my previous lip balms contains some type of petro-chemical. It's an ingredient in Neosporin ointment. It won't be easy to completely eliminate it.

But I do think there is a better argument to avoid petro-chemicals than possible toxicity - they are a non-renewable resource. So it's more eco-friendly to use products that are made from natural materials like beeswax or plant-based materials (e.g., cocoa butter, shea butter, etc.)

So I've decided to make a switch, and phase out my current lip balm collection and replace them with petro-chemical-free balms.

Plus, it's another excuse to go shopping.


No comments: